Nicola Herring – Journey of Systemic Training

Role: Systemic Family Therapist

Your connection to the course: I have now qualified as a Systemic Family Therapist having completed the MSC Systemic Psychotherapy, Intermediate and Foundation courses at the University of Derby from 2013-2019, with a two gap in between.

Journey of Systemic Training

My journey was experienced, by me, as difficult and full of self doubt. I began not believing that I would complete the qualifying course as this was set high above me. However, through the support and encouragement of my peers and tutors, as well as my family and recognition from my employer I kept going. I knew I wanted to succeed and I am proud to say I made it. My patch reflects my training journey from understanding my past to climbing the training mountain and now the legacy of this experience is working as a systemic psychotherapist and having an article published about my MSc research. This has become a way of life and way of being and I am grateful for all the support I have had along the way from all my training peers, tutors, colleagues, family as well as DAFT and AFT. My eyes have been opened and I have learned so much about myself as well as working systemically with others. It is not always easy to maintain an attitude of curiosity and neutrality. I keep going with continued CPD and workshops, as well as being part of the DAFT committee…

The research undertaken by Nic, as part of her MSc dissertation has recently been published in the Journal of Family Therapy. Here is the link to the article:

Young people, living in care and adopted, talk about their experiences of receiving an NHS therapeutic intervention. Qualitative research analysed using Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis