Gareth Morgan – Gareth’s Patch

Role: Clinical Psychologist

Your connection to the course: Student on foundation and intermediate training

Gareth’s Patch

The task of writing a ‘patch’ itself brought back memories fond memories for me – I’m not sure I’ve ever used the word more than I did the year I trained at Derby, a year I enjoyed and valued, with people I wish I’d remained more connected with. The patch in a patchwork metaphor seems apt too – A patch has content but when zoomed out it forms a mere part of the whole and it isn’t always apparent where one part may end and another begins, nor does it matter when looking at the larger image, but each patch is significant. My time at Derby was significant to my thinking, both in terms of my clinical practice but also in terms of reflecting upon my own familial relationships at a time I transitioned into fatherhood. Like a patch in a patchwork, it becomes harder to recall the details of the course the further I move away from that time, and the continued use of systemic ideas in work, teaching, activism and personal life makes it harder to see exactly how the time has influenced me, with each patch of my life and experience blurring. But the influence remains, and each new patch or experience is changed by the presence of the other parts. I was sorry to read about the course coming to an end at Derby. The discussions, ideas and conversations will live on through the many people who have passed through.  Thanks to all who taught and participated.